Saturday, February 9, 2008

Screenwriting software

I've become interested in screenwriting, lately. I've always imagined the novel I'm writing as a movie and hoped it might become one, someday. But the dream of writing a screenplay was always a distant hope, something that, in my mind, was far off in the future. That was before.

Yesterday, a friend at work gave me an idea for a great movie script (and more importantly, permission to use the idea, since my friend is not a writer). I decided I can't put my dream of screenwriting off any longer. It's time to learn how. So, naturally, being a computer-oriented writer, the first thing I did was to order some screenwriting software.

It was a toss up between Final Draft and Movie Magic Screenwriter (MMS). I did the prerequisite research, and went with MMS. Being fairly Internet savvy, I surfed the web for a great deal, and found one. The full retail price of MMS v.6 is about $250.00. I found it for half that. $130.00, including shipping. I bought the student version, which reportedly has all the same features. Now I can't wait to try it.

I know almost nothing about screenwriting, not even how to format the page. But that's why I bought the software. It should make the job of learning how to write screenplays far easier. I've read a couple of books on the subject, with titles like, How To Write and Sell Your Screenplay. But reading about writing - and writing - are very different skills. I've learned that in trying to write my novel.

I look forward to getting acquainted with the software. When I've had a chance to nose around in the program for a while, I'll write a review and post it here, in case anyone's interested in knowing more about MMS.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment